Friday, November 12, 2010

Soul Kitchen - August, 2003 - Jimmy McCracklin

Hello Gang,


I've had many requests over the years to post some of my shows on line. It's a great deal of work to transfer them from cassette to CD and then to sound file and so on. I've decided though to post a few random clips of episodes.


Basically I'm not really weeding out my favorites (because that would also take too long). I simply grabbed whatever tapes were convenient and began transferring.


I hope you enjoy.  See the audio player at the bottom of this post for listening.





I used to be very insistent on making all of my flyers by hand.  I felt it was very "punk rock".  Eventually I gave in to technology. I think I've finally found a way to combine technology with my old fashioned analog method.


In an effort to personalize the music to my listeners (and hopefully teach a little soul history) each week I would highlight certain artists on their birthdays. Something that has disturbed me about SOME soul record collectors/DJs is that I often witness a disconnect between appreciating the music and awareness of the history and artists who made the music. This was something I tried to combat on my show.


This particular episode featured the Jimmy McCracklin Blue Plate Birthday Special.


I also included the Community Billboard which  some folks might find boring.  However, I chose to include it in case some long term Oly residents find it interesting.  It's VERY Olympia.


No comments:

Post a Comment