Friday, May 20, 2011

Chick-A Boom Boom!

I have not been good about posting on this blog.  I suppose it's because very few people seem to read it.  But now I actually have some DJ news to report.  


Nearly a year ago I moved BACK to Portland for a variety of reasons not the least of which was the opportunity to collaborate on exciting art projects.  After a few bumps in the road this is finally coming to fruition.  I'm happy to announce that Nadia Buyse and are starting a new MONTHLY dance party in Portland.

If you don't know about Nadia I'm sad for you.  I'm sad because you are yet to discover one of the greatest voices in rock 'n' roll today.  A singer like Nadia comes along very rarely in this world.  We're lucky to have her.  But Nadia is not only a voice, she's an unstoppable force of nature, a fantastic dancer and a woman of exquisite  musical taste. All of these reasons and MORE make me extremely excited and proud to be working with her on this project.

I'm thrilled to have a platform to share all of the feminist soul and early 70s funk music I've been collecting for YEARS!  I hope people will find it as inspiring as I do.  It's also cool to be able to share some of the my favorite vintage lady music from non-soul genres.  It's gonna be liberating to STRETCH out a bit!

It feels like coming home, returning to my feminist artist activist roots!  I suppose I never really left them but in the past they've been more front and center than they have been in recent times.  I suppose it's the action of certain politicians over the past year that have reminded me that we can never take our hard-won rights for granted.  We must soldier on!



Please view the Chick-A Boom Boom mission below:

 If you've paid any attention to the news over the past few months you know that the US government as well as most state governments are in a "budget crisis". Instead of recovering unpaid taxes from corporations or wealthier citizens, many politicians have chosen to rob "the people" instead. You are witnessing a class war. Most likely, you are one of the people under siege. Women have been particularly targeted in this battle. Nadia and I believe that it's time to fight back. Fight back with your FEET on the dance floor!

While public funds are looted by the greedy, we have chosen to take action in a way that we feel best utilizes our talents. With Chick-A Boom Boom, our monthly dance party featuring all vintage records made by WOMEN, we hope to accomplish these goals:

1. To empower and inspire. It's easy to feel defeated and knocked down in these times of extreme struggle. We strive to lift you up.

2. To raise funds for organizations and causes benefiting women. Each week we plan to put out a tip jar. If you like what we're spinning you can put a couple of bucks in the tip jar. There's no cover charge for Chick-A Boom Boom and it's Happy Hour so the drinks are cheap. We're hoping you can toss a little of the money you'll be saving into the tip jar. All tip money will go towards a different women's organization/cause each week. It's a way to return some of those funds stolen from us. Keeping this in mind, Nadia and I will be working REALLY hard to earn your tips on the turntable!

3. To honor the ladies of the 50s, 60s, & 70s who fought so hard to pave the way for our voices to be heard.

4. To entertain you. As Nadia so brilliantly put it "I present you the world's wackiest, dance attackiest, ass shakin', glass breakin',make your momma cry with the jams we supply Happiest hour in town!!!" It's guaranteed to be a fun way to spend a Spring/Summer evening! There will be microphones and old school Dj rhyming involved! Not to be missed.

If you've known me for any period of time it should be no surprise to you that an all-girl record MONTHLY dance party is a dream come true for me. I've been wanting to do something like this ever since my old radio days: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29029041@N08/4029619688/in/set-72157622501372499

They say it can't be done. They say there won't be enough support for an all-girl record MONTHLY dance party. We say THEY ARE WRONG! WE say, YOU WILL PROVE THEM WRONG!

No comments:

Post a Comment