Thursday, March 1, 2012

Women's History Month - Shirley Goodman

I will be celebrating some of my favorite ladies from the golden age of R&B and soul all though March. This is not so much a history lesson as it is simply a chance to share my appreciation for some really incredible ladies!

 I'm starting with the late Shirley Goodman, originally from New Orleans. She is probably best remembered as half of the R&B duo of Shirley & Lee, who recorded two of the best records of the 1950s, "Feels So Good" and "Let the Good Times Roll" as well as many other fabulous examples of traditional New Orleans R&B.  Also she was cute as a button!





 Shirley isn't really celebrated very much. I suppose that's because most of her work was as half of various duos- Shirley & Lee, Shirley and Jessie (Hill), Shirley & Company, etc. And yet, she possessed one of the most charming and unique voices in the history of American music. Also Shirley will surprise you. Her voice pops up where you least expect it, as it did as a backing vocalist on the Rolling Stones "Exile on Main Street" lp.

 I adore Shirley, so today I ask you to take a few minutes and listen to her magic on the cuts I've posted below.

"Feel So Good" was the first 50s R&B song I completely fell in love with, sparking a life-long obsession with the best music ever laid on wax.

After Shirley split with Lee she teamed up with another New Orleans legend. Jessie Hill is best known for his iconic R&B anthem "Ooh Poo Pah Doo." My favorite record by Shirley & Jessie is not available on youtube, however this one is also is a Northern Soul classic. Here we have Shirley with "and Company". I've never bothered to learn more about "& Company" but I do find him to be pretty awesome. Prior to recording this MAJOR hit, Shirley was resigned to a life outside of the music biz. It was Sylvia Robinson who coaxed her back into the spotlight to record for her All Platinum Records. THANK YOU SYLVIA, because this is by far one of my favorite disco songs! Finally, this is a special reunion between Shirley & Lee on the show Midnight Special during Shirley's "Shame Shame Shame" era. Note Lee's outfit.

- Post by Portland's DJ Action Slacks of Sugar Town

No comments:

Post a Comment