Saturday, October 2, 2010

Lighting My Fire

I'm putting together a set right now for a gig tonight.  It's going to be a mixed crowd (age and background) so I'm trying to pick out more familiar songs than the ones I normally play.  I have chosen to play Erma for the first time in a LONG LONG time.

Erma Franklin "Light My Fire" was a staple of my first DJ sets of the late 90s.  I stopped playing it when it became reissued on CD and on vinyl.  I guess right now I am sort of longing for the time when no one in my world knew about that recording.  I could put it on the tables and blow people's minds.  Those were good times.

I still remember buying the LP.

It was at Positively 4th Street in downtown Olympia.  I must have gone in there 5 times and held it in my hands, drooled over it and put it back.  It was $8.00.  That seemed like so much money for a record back then.  It was before records had made their come back and I was accustomed to paying no more than $2.00 for used record.

On the 6th visit I gave in.  It seems so ridiculous now. Erma, you were definitely worth much more than $8.00! I look forward to having you join me again tonight.   I've missed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment